The City of St. Charles has ordinances for pet owners to follow in order to help keep people and pets happy. The following is a brief summary of these ordinances:
- All animals must be on a 6-foot leash at all times when off the owner's property or be restrained on the owner's property.
- All animals must be provided with wholesome food, clean water, shelter, and health care necessary to maintain the animal's good health.
- All dogs, cats, ferrets, and other domestic animals are required to be vaccinated for rabies by a licensed veterinarian by the age for 4 months and be registered with the St. Charles County Rabies Control. All pets must be current every year and display their current rabies vaccination tag.
- The number of animals at a residence shall not exceed more than 2 dogs or 3 cats, or any combination of such animals exceeding 4 in number of the age of 6 months (request copy of full ordinance for exceptions to limit).
- City ordinance prohibits anyone keeping on their premises any dog that frequently barks, howls, whines, or yelps causing fear or annoyance to persons living in the immediate area.
- Any person having physical control/possession of any animal is responsible for disposing of any fecal matter deposited by that animal. This includes but not limited to the owner's private property, another person's private property, vacant property, streets, sidewalks, parking lots, common ground areas, and all public park areas.
To review the complete set of city ordinances, please visit our ordinances page.
Domestic Avocation Permit
If a resident is interested in having more than 2 dogs or 3 cats or 4 of any combination of such animals, they must obtain a Domestic Avocation Permit. The permit allows keeping of the excess animals with approval of 75% of property owners within 75 feet of the applicant's property line and includes requirements for inspection of the property and approval of the city. The Domestic Avocation Permit must be renewed every year cost is $20 per year.
Additional Permits Available - Contact Animal Control
Commercial Animal Facilities, Grooming Establishments, Cattery License, Kennel Permits. Contact Animal Control for more details .
(636) 949 - 3395
LIVE TRAP RENTALS
Live traps are available to help citizens humanely rid themselves of animal nuisances. The following trap types are available for rent:
- $40 deposit, refundable upon return of the trap
- There will be a $15 charge for each removal other than a domestic cat
- $75 deposit, refundable upon return of the trap
- There will be a $25 removal fee for each removal other than a domestic dog
- $25 deposit, refundable upon return of the trap
- There will be a $10 removal fee for each removal
Do not trap on Saturday nights or holidays as we will not have anyone available to pick up the animal. It is the responsibility of the trapper to contact us during business hours to have the animal picked up and pay the fees. It is your responsibility to provide a safe environment for any animal caught in the trap. Any damage to, loss of, or failure to return the trap for any reason will result in the forfeiture of the deposit. Additional fees may apply for current replacement cost.
Animals captured and impounded by the City of St. Charles may be reclaimed by the owner upon presentation of an up-to-date vaccination certificate and payment of the following fee:
First impound - $35
Second impound - $50
Third impound - $85 and summons
When an animal bites a person or another animal and a complaint is filed, an investigation is required. The cost for the investigation is the responsibility of the offending animal's owner. If the animal must be impounded at the Animal Shelter, there will be a $10 Bite Report fee plus a $10 per day room and board fee for the 10 days. If the animal is quarantined at home there are guidelines the owner must abide by for the 10 days.
EUTHANASIA & DISPOSAL
Pet owners may request the city to euthanize their pet and dispose of the body. Please contact us for euthanize service before coming to the shelter. The vet is only here on certain days. The cost for this service is:
- $25 for St. Charles City Residents
- $45 for St. Charles County Residents
There is an additional $10 charge for pets weighing more than 50 pounds. A $10 surrender fee does apply.
Deceased pets may be turned over to the city for disposal. The cost for this service is:
- $10 per animal for St. Charles City Residents
- $25 per animal for St. Charles County Residents
There is no charge for pick up of dead strays or wildlife.
Payments can be made by cash or check with I.D.