Demolition Permit Information
In order to obtain a Demolition Permit, proof of the following must be provided to the Department of Community Development:
- Certificate of Appropriateness - For property located within the Extended Historic Preservation District, a Certificate of Appropriateness issued by the Historic Landmarks Preservation and Architectural Review Board (HLPARB). The Department of Community Development can verify whether or not the property is located within the Extended Historic Preservation District and provide you with an HLPARB application. The HLPARB meets the 3rd Monday of each month.
- Utilities - Letters from St. Charles Gas Company, AmerenUE and the Department of Public Works stating that utility services have been abandoned. If gas service has not been provided to the property, a letter stating such is required. The Public Works Department must verify that the sanitary sewer has been capped in an approved fashion.
- Insurance - A "Certificate of Insurance" from a private insurance provider for at least $300,000.
- License - A Demolition Contractor's License, issued by the Collections Division of the city (1st floor of City Hall). The City Hall phone number is 636-949-3212.
- Deposit - $100 deposit paid in cash or check payable to the City of Saint Charles. Once work is completed, submit a written request for return of the $100 deposit. The deposit will be returned within 30 days if all requirements have been met.
- Permit Fee - $35 demolition permit fee paid to the City of Saint Charles.
Structures of 500 square feet or less do not require a demolition permit. Demolition Permits expire 3 months from date of issuance.
Questions regarding demolition permits may be directed to the Department of Community Development at 636-949-3227.