Public Works Facility Construction
April 2015 Update
Construction on the new Public Works Facility is moving forward. Groundbreaking occurred on September 9, 2014 and construction on the new facility is expected to continue through 2015.
- Contractors have started soil remediation for the retaining wall along the east property line. This retaining wall incorporates the east wall of the newly added salt storage structure.
- The Administration Building is nearing completion of interior finishes. The exterior of the Administration Building are roughly 80% complete.
- The entrance, parking and sidewalks along the west side of the Administration Building are near completion. Elm Point Industrial Drive entrance will be completed within two weeks after completion of the bio-retention basin.
- Finishes are starting in the Fleet Maintenance Building. The Fleet parking area is almost halfway poured. The four ton bridge crane is complete and fully operational.
- The salt storage structure addition is being finalized, schedule for completion August 2015.
November 6, 2012, voters of the City of St. Charles approved Proposition 1 to allocate $8.3 million in General Obligation Bonds to design, construct, and furnish a new Public Works Facility. In 2011, the City purchased 8.56 acres of land on Mueller Road adjacent to the Coca-Cola distribution center on the north end of town for this purpose. Funding to buy this property and build a connecting road came from the sale of 24 acres of city property located at Little Hills Expressway and Boschertown Road (2871 Elm Point Industrial Drive.)
The new Facility will include:
- Additional service bays to maintain over 150 trucks, SCAT buses, and various heavy equipment
- An indoor storage area for weather sensitive equipment, tools and materials
- An outdoor bulk storage area for street construction, lighting and landscape materials
- On-site storage for trucks, construction equipment and snow plows
- An area to house and store sewer pipe, manhole structures and components
- Signs and traffic control barricades storage
- A proposed salt dome with 4,000 ton storage capacity
- Administrative offices and training room for Public Works personnel
Project LocationLittle Hills Expressway and Boschertown Road (2871 Elm Point Industrial Drive.)