Sister Cities Program
The St. Charles Sister Cities Program was incorporated in 1994. The mission of the program is to encourage and implement high quality programs that foster mutual understanding, friendship, and goodwill through cultural, social, business, and educational exchanges between St. Charles and her Sister Cities.
Current Sister Cities
Currently, St. Charles has 2 sister cities: Ludwigsburg, Germany; and Inishowen, Ireland.
Ludwigsburg was selected because:
- An American Army base (Pattonville) had been located just outside Ludwigsburg from 1946-93. A good relationship existed between the soldiers and the citizens, and Ludwigsburg was looking for a way to continue its American contacts.
- Correspondence with Ludwigsburg City officials in 1993 brought an invitation from then Lord Mayor (Oberbuergermeister) Hans Jochen Henke to then-St. Charles Mayor Grace Nichols and Joe Daues to visit the German community.
- It is comparable in size to St. Charles and located near a larger city, Stuttgart, which is a Sister City to St. Louis, and also across the Neckar River from Marbach, a Sister City with Washington, Missouri.
- It was seeking an American city as its 4th Sister City, hoping to complete the cycle of partnerships with communities in each of the four Allied countries that were Germany's opponents during World War II.
To learn more about our German Chapter:
- Visit our German Chapter website
- Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StCharlesSisterCities
- Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SC_SisterCities
- Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/st_charles_sister_cities/
Inishowen was selected because:
- Carndonagh has a large community school that was interested in starting a student exchange with one of our local high schools and is where exchanges began. An additional school in Buncrana was found to add to the student exchange.
- St. Charles and the St. Louis metro area has a large population of people with Irish roots.
- The area is a complete opposite of St. Charles thus allowing adult delegations and students alike to experience a rural area lifestyle as well as the Irish culture.
- Inishowen, in the Northern part of the Republic of Ireland, is much like St. Charles and the Midwest. Most travel to Ireland to see Dublin and most traveling to the USA travel to New York or California. By being sister cities, Inishowen and St. Charles showcase and promote their areas to visitors from across the pond.
To learn more about our Irish Chapter:
- Visit our Irish Chapter Website
- Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/St-Charles-Sister-Cities-Irish-Chapter-292112767854229
- Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/moriverirish
- Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/moriverirish/