First Capitol Drive Enhancements - 15STR26
Construction Wards - 1 & 2
Impacted Wards - Citywide
Contractor - Gershenson Construction Co. Inc.
The First Capitol Drive Enhancement Project is a 44% City, 40% Federal, 16% SSM St. Joseph Hospital funded. The scope entails constructing new ADA accessible sidewalks, new pedestrian and street lighting, and landscaping along First Capitol Dr., from Fifth St. to the alley east of Second St, and on Fifth St., from First Capitol Dr. to Madison St. This project will also include a water main replacement along First Capitol Dr. within the aforementioned project limits, bus shelters, and a 2” asphalt mill and overlay. Landscaping maintenance will be conducted by SSM per an agreement signed in June 2017.
Contact InformationJon Swagman
Current Project Activities
- The project is currently under construction
- Construction resumed the week of January 22, 2018
- Bidding was complete in April 2017
- Surveying was completed the week of June 5
- Potholing for underground utilities began the week of June 12th
- Sidewalk sections were completed in front of Pio's and Buse's in July 2017
- On January 22, 2018 crews began installing the new 12" watermain on First Capitol east of 5th Street toward 4th Street
- Crews encountered more buried steel the week of March 19, 2018. Crews will start removing these I beams the week of March 26th
- Crews repaired (3) watermain breaks at Second Street the week of April 8th. This particular watermain is very old and will be replaced as part of the project
- Watermain work began at the intersection of First Capitol and Main Street the week of April 16th. Restoration to the Main Street brick roadway will not occur until all connections have been made, and the new watermain has been tested/sanitized
- The final watermain was installed and passed pressure testing on May 9
- A concrete base was poured the week of June 3rd. When this base cures, the bricks will be reinstalled on First Capitol Drive
- Crews poured bio retention #1 the week of July 1, 2018
A public meeting was held on January 26, 2016, from 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. in the gym of St. Peter Catholic Church, located at 324 S. 3rd Street.