First Capitol Drive Enhancements - 15STR26
Construction Wards - 1 & 2
Impacted Wards - Citywide
Contractor - Gershenson Construction Co. Inc.
The First Capitol Drive Enhancement Project is a 44% City, 40% Federal, 16% SSM Saint Joseph Hospital funded. The scope entails constructing new Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accessible sidewalks, new pedestrian and street lighting, and landscaping along First Capitol Drive, from Fifth Street, to the alley east of Second Street, and on Fifth Street, from First Capitol Drive to Madison Street. This project will also include a water main replacement along First Capitol Drive within the aforementioned project limits, bus shelters, and a 2" asphalt mill and overlay. Landscaping maintenance will be conducted by SSM per an agreement signed in June 2017.
Current Project Activities
- Bidding was complete in April 2017
- Surveying was completed the week of June 5
- Potholing for underground utilities began the week of June 12th
- Sidewalk sections were completed in front of Pio's and Buse's in July 2017
- On January 22, 2018 crews began installing the new 12" watermain on First Capitol east of Fifth Street toward Fourth Street
- Crews encountered more buried steel the week of March 19, 2018. Crews started removing these I beams the week of March 26, 2018
- Crews repaired (3) watermain breaks at Second Street the week of April 8, 2018. This particular watermain is very old and will be replaced as part of the project
- Watermain work began at the intersection of First Capitol and Main Street the week of April 16, 2018. Restoration to the Main Street brick roadway occured after all connections were made, and the new watermain was tested/sanitized
- The final watermain was installed and passed pressure testing on May 9, 2018
- A concrete base was poured the week of June 3, 2018.
- Crews poured bio retention one the week of July 1, 2018
- On August 10, 2018 crews closed First Capitol Drive between Second Street and the alley west of Main Street to repair a sanitary sewer pipe
- The week of August 19, crews continued to pour concrete entrances, sidewalk, curb and gutter on the north side of First Capitol drive. Another crew started laying brick pavers on the south side of First Capitol Drive
- Crews finished phase one concrete the week of August 26, 2018 and all SSM entrances were reopened
- New sidewalk was poured in front of the helipad and fencing was installed in front of St. Peter Catholic Church the week of October 21
- All concrete work was complete the week of November 4, 2018
- Milling was complete on November 28, 2018
- Crews began laying new asphalt on November 29, 2018
- Project was substantially complete the week of December 2, 2018
A public meeting was held on January 26, 2016, from 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. in the gym of St. Peter Catholic Church, located at 324 S. 3rd Street.