West Clay Rehabilitation - East
Impacted Wards: 2 & 9
Contractor: Krupp Construction
This project will overhaul West Clay Street from Duchesne to west of First Capitol Drive. The project will also realign the intersection of Droste and West Clay and remove a redundant signal at Chargene. The existing pavement in this corridor is in poor condition. The sidewalks are disconnected and in poor repair. The overhead utilities make improvements along the route difficult to construct. The project will rehab the roadway, provide bicycle and pedestrian facilities along West Clay Street, underground the overhead utilities, install decorative lighting and improve roadway drainage. The project has received outside funding from the County Road Board and the project was recommended in the Droste West Clay Duchesne Study to assist in the revitalization of the area.
West Clay Street from Duchesne to west of First Capitol Drive
- County Road Board Funds were awarded in 2015.
- Federal STP-S funding application was submitted on March 3, 2016, and requested $1 million in federal funds.
- Design Notice to proceed and Kick-off Meeting were held on April 12, 2016.
- Open House was held on November 2, 2016.
- AT&T Traffic Plan (PDF)
- Contractors will be demolishing 4 properties as a part of this project:
- 501 Droste Road
- 2408 West Clay Street
- 2407 West Clay Street
- 1010 Chargene Street
- Spire began working on their West Clay utility relocations in August 2018.
- Notice to Proceed with Construction granted on March 25, 2019.
- On April 8, 2019, the contractor removed signal lights at the intersection of Chargene and West Clay.
- Starting the week of May 25th, there will be a posted reduced speed limit of 20 mph throughout the construction project limits until the end of the project.
- Krupp Construction will be removing pavement on the south side of West Clay starting the week of June 15th and have scheduled more paving to begin July 13th.
- Reinhold Lighting began installing lights starting the week of June 8th as well as signal lights for the new Droste and West Clay intersection.
- The Hawk’s Nest / Duchesne & West Clay intersection will begin reconstruction June 29th and will last through July 2nd. The intersection remains open; however, please note the following traffic limitations.
- Monday: Right turn only from Hawk’s Nest to West Clay
- Tuesday: There will be no access to Hawk’s Nest from Duchesne
- Wednesday: Work continues with no traffic limitations
- This project is on schedule and is estimated to be complete in Fall 2020.