West Clay Rehabilitation - East
Impacted Wards: 2 & 9
Contractor: Krupp Construction
This project will overhaul West Clay Street from Duchesne to west of First Capitol Drive. The project will also realign the intersection of Droste and West Clay and remove a redundant signal at Chargene. The existing pavement in this corridor is in poor condition. The sidewalks are disconnected and in poor repair. The overhead utilities make improvements along the route difficult to construct. The project will rehab the roadway, provide bicycle and pedestrian facilities along West Clay Street, underground the overhead utilities, install decorative lighting and improve roadway drainage. The project has received outside funding from the County Road Board and the project was recommended in the Droste West Clay Duchesne Study to assist in the revitalization of the area.
West Clay Street from Duchesne to west of First Capitol Drive
- County Road Board Funds were awarded in 2015.
- Federal STP-S funding application was submitted on March 3, 2016, and requested $1 million in federal funds.
- Design Notice to proceed and Kick-off Meeting were held on April 12, 2016.
- Open House was held on November 2, 2016.
- AT&T Traffic Plan (PDF)
- Contractors will be demolishing 4 properties as a part of this project:
- 501 Droste Road
- 2408 West Clay Street
- 2407 West Clay Street
- 1010 Chargene Street
- Spire began working on their West Clay utility relocations in August 2018.
- Notice to Proceed with Construction granted on March 25, 2019.
- On April 8, 2019, the contractor removed signal lights at the intersection of Chargene and West Clay.
- Contractor continues to lay storm sewer and install conduits for utilities on the north side of West Clay & Droste.
- Traffic switch from the south side of West Clay to the north side of West Clay began August 1, 2019. Reconstruction and pavement of the south side of West Clay is estimated to be complete at the end of May 2020.
- The contractor is boring and installing facilities for the utility companies (AT&T, Ameren, and Spectrum). They continue to work on storm sewer installation adjacent to Walgreens/new Droste alignment area and Oakleaf.
- Utility companies (AT&T, Ameren, & Charter) are continuing to relocate their facilities for the project and utility investigation continues throughout the project limits. As of February 2020, this is 98% complete.
- The contractor continues installing the new water main on Oakleaf and Chargene. Storm sewer is being installed on south side of West Clay and along Chargene.
- Droste concrete work at the North side of West Clay will begin March 2020, weather permitting.
- Construction on Oakleaf Dr., Chargene St., and south Droste Rd. is at approximately 85% completion.
- This project is on schedule and is estimated to be complete in Fall 2020.