Lincoln Elementary Safe Routes to School
Impacted Ward – 2
Lincoln Elementary School was established in 1930 and is located at the intersection of Perry Street and South Sixth Street. There are several locations where no sidewalks are present within a half mile of the school. Zones of missing sidewalks surrounding schools were prioritized in the City’s 2015 Long Range Sidewalk and ADA Transition Plan. Lincoln Elementary School zone is now the highest priority zone. Additionally, the 2016 Bicycle & Pedestrian Master Plan acknowledged and built on the 2015 Long Range Sidewalk and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Transition Plan by identifying the need for pedestrian and bicycle safety improvements along Perry, and recommended future traffic calming measures. The City of Saint Charles was awarded federal Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act (FAST) matching funds in 2017.
The selected design consultant will be responsible for designing approximately 3,500 linear feet of new sidewalk along Perry Street and surrounding streets in addition to determining repairs to existing sidewalks to meet Public Right of Way Accessibility Guidelines (PROWAG) standards. In total, this project will install or repair approximately 4500 linear feet of sidewalk. Where practical, new sidewalks should be designed at six foot wide (sidewalk will be constructed at a minimum width of 5 feet in constrained areas). New Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accessible ramps and crosswalk striping will be designed at street intersections. New sidewalk locations are depicted in yellow and repair sections in orange on the attached project location map. The selected design consultant will be responsible for survey, retaining wall design, and assisting with Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)Local Public Agency (LPA) coordination & compliance.
When constructed, this project will increase the safety of children walking to school and improve pedestrian connectivity between Lincoln Elementary School and the surrounding neighborhood. In addition to Lincoln Elementary, Perry Street connects two commercial shopping areas with pedestrian destinations. The west end of Perry Street connects to the newly constructed University Commons Shopping Center including a Schnuck’s grocery store and Post Office. The east end of Perry Street connects to retail shopping along Fifth Street. This project would also provide better connectivity to several Saint Charles Area Transit (SCAT) bus stops and a more walkable connection for residents of student housing traveling to the Lindenwood University Campus.
Along Perry Street between Boone Avenue and South Sixth Street and along Seventh Street between McDonough Street and First Capitol Drive.
- Applied for Transportation Alternative Program Federal Funds in June 2017
- East-West Gateway Council of Governments (EWGCOG) Recommends Federal Funds in August 2017
- Transportation Alternatives Funds Program Agreement with Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission to provide Federal Funding executed in January 2018
- Project Charter approved in January 2018
- An open house was held February 13, 2019 at First Saint Charles United Methodist Church
- MoDOT approved preliminary plans February 2019
- MoDOT approved Right-of-Way plans May 2019
- Public Open House meetings for owners impacted by construction were held in June and July 2019
- Easement acquisitions were completed December 2019