North Benton Avenue to North Main Storm Drainage
Impacted Ward: 1
Design Consultant: Horner & Shifrin
This purpose of the project is to improve stormwater drainage in the neighborhood of Benton Avenue near Mel Wetter Parkway down Barthel Avenue to Third Street, then east to the Missouri River outfall. This project also includes Transit Avenue from North Fifth Street down to Main Street. The floodgate and outfall to the Missouri River will be replaced to serve these two storm sewer improvements. Homes in this neighborhood are subject to flooding due to undersized or substandard storm sewers.
This project will be split into three separate construction projects with different timelines.
Project One: Flood Gate #3 and Storm Sewer Improvements - Missouri River to North Main Street will include construction of a new flood gate structure, detention areas, and storm sewer improvements from the river outfall to and along N Main Street. This project is expected to begin construction in Fall 2020.
Project Two: Storm Sewer and Water Main Improvements at Barthel Ave and Transit Street. Construction is planned to begin in early 2021.
Project Three: Storm Sewer and Water Main Improvements at Transit Street from Moore to North Main. Construction is planned for early 2022.
Virtual Road Show
With the passage of Proposition P in 2016, several storm water projects were prioritized across the City. This project will alleviate street and property flooding due to an inadequate storm sewer system.
Learn more through our Virtual Road Show video:
- A public open house was held September 12, 2019. Preliminary design plans were approved September 2019.
- Bids were received for Project 1 on August 17th.
- Construction of the new flood gate, detention basins, and storm sewer improvements along N. Main St. is expected to begin Fall 2020.
- Project One: Fischer Grading, LLC has been selected as the Contractor.
- Contractor began bringing in equipment in October.